I collect both Barbies and AG. I probably have about 100 Barbies, most of them still in their boxes. I have collected the Barbies since I was an adult and keep them in their boxes because it is much easier to display them and they don't get dirty! (Since I don't play with them) The one exception is pregnant Midge, whom I took out along with her husband and nursery and other accessories.
On the other hand my AG's are all in the living room displayed with all their accessories. I usually change their clothes and things once a month, sometimes more. Today my two daughters and I and Samantha, Nellie, and Addy played croquet. So I don't have to worry about them getting dusty! By the way my daughters are 11 (12 in September) and 14 (15 this month) and we have a lot fun with the "girls".

Melissa